Machines with spatial intelligence are becoming more commonplace. High performance robotic solutions are no longer limited to factories and warehouses, but are becoming more and more common in environments such as hospitals, hotels and homes. Autonomous cars are starting to emerge out of the lab and AR/VR headsets are allowing us to overlay the digital world on the real world. As these machines operate in less constrained, more dynamic environments, spatial understanding is essential for reliable operation and intelligent behaviour. There are three levels of spatial understanding required: localisation (position), mapping (map) and semantics (perceive). Using vision as the core sensing modality, all three levels of spatial understanding can be combined to offer full stack spatial Intelligence, providing richer maps, robustness to change and greater adaptability to challenging, dynamic environments.
Who we are:
SLAMcore is a London-based, globally focused startup founded by visual SLAM algorithm pioneers and specialists. Having raised over $30M of VC funding from top investors around the world, we are developing breakthrough spatial intelligence solutions for next generation robots and autonomous machines by harnessing computer vision, sensor fusion and machine learning. Our aim is to greatly reduce the time and cost for companies to deploy advanced robotic solutions whilst delivering performance they could never achieve on their own. Our customers include some of the biggest tech companies on the planet building solutions from vacuum cleaning to warehouse and logistics.
Our vision for this role:
SLAM is emerging from the research laboratory into real world applications, but we are only at the beginning of the journey. This technology is evolving into a general Spatial AI capability for intelligent devices, to help them understand and interact with their surroundings. SLAMcore intends to be at the centre of this exciting movement, though to do this well, it is essential our solutions have been extensively tested in the real world, on real hardware. A robot that gets easily lost or a drone that crashes 1 in 100 flights are just toys. We strive to deliver consistent, reliable performance that our customers can truly rely on.
As a DevOps Engineer / Software Release Manager you will own the entire release process. You will be working alongside algorithm design, software engineering and QA teams, to ensure our developed solutions meet the highest standards in terms of quality, robustness and reliability.
In this role you will apply your technical knowledge and expertise to oversee the process of product and application development and delivery. For example, ensuring build quality requires adaptability and broad knowledge, to be able to jump on unfamiliar code written in C++ or Python and leverage autotest results and source control history. You will understand the entire toolchain to produce software for spatially aware products, and work closely with other engineering teams to develop and improve parts of the toolchain. You will be comfortable in pushing our technology to its limits and in turn identifying and resolving issues with our software and systems. This is a phenomenal opportunity to be exposed to high performance software and sophisticated algorithms in the world of Spatial AI, which brings a broad range of exciting and challenging tasks to work on.
How you will help:
- Deploy product updates, identify production issues and monitor performance
- Manage versioning and release processes across multiple customers
- Work closely with internal developers and stakeholders on every step of building, testing and releasing our software products
- Automate testing, verification and quality assurance and develop necessary infrastructure and frameworks
- Automate performance monitoring and evaluation
- Maintain and extend the functionality of our CI and build infrastructure
- Identify, reproduce, and where possible resolve bugs; and where not, ensure they are escalated appropriately
- Produce technical reports and documentation on the performance of our systems
The capabilities we are looking for:
- Strong understanding of the different aspects of software engineering
- Experience as a DevOps Engineer or similar software engineering role
- Strong experience programing in Python or other programing languages
- Experience with databases and SQL
- Sound understanding of the practices involved in containerization e.g. using Docker
- Proficient with git and git workflows
- Experience working in a Linux environment with ease
- Confidently able to work independently and with minimal supervision
- Keen problem solving skills
- Comfortable and passionate about working in a dynamic and agile, startup environment
- Excellent communication skills
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience in technical team management or software project management
- Previous experience in building C++ applications, e.g. using CMake is a great plus
- Experience in data visualisation is a plus
Benefits and perks:
- 25 days holiday per year (plus 8 UK public holidays or local equivalent)
- Meaningful equity in a fast growing business
- Remote first company with flexible working hours*
- £1000 annual allowance towards professional and personal development
- Monthly team social events as well as a fully stocked drinks fridge at our HQ in Borough
- £20 allowance per fortnight on your company card for extra lunches/snacks/coffee/socialising
- Your choice of a PC or MacBook for completion of your day to day tasks (technical hires will need hardware that will run Linux)
- £500 to spend on your work from home setup (we’ll cover your peripherals such as screen, keyboard/mouse etc)
- Paid sick leave for physical and mental health
- Unlimited private coaching sessions with More Happi to help in your professional or personal life
- Maternal and parental leave policies
- Salary exchange programme to contribute to your pension plan with added tax benefits
Learn more about our culture, mission and values at careers.slamcore.com.
If you are interested in this role, please click apply now!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the grounds of gender, sexual orientation, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, gender reassignment, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, disability or age.
* Please note that SLAMcore is operating under a hybrid workplace policy which is predominantly 'remote-first' whilst the Covid-19 pandemic continues. Fully remote candidates will be considered. #LI-DNI