Machines with spatial intelligence are becoming more commonplace. High performance robotic solutions are no longer limited to factories and warehouses, but are becoming more and more common in environments such as hospitals, hotels and homes. Autonomous cars are starting to emerge out of the lab and AR/VR headsets are allowing us to overlay the digital world on the real world. As these machines operate in less constrained, more dynamic environments, spatial understanding is essential for reliable operation and intelligent behaviour. There are three levels of spatial understanding required: localisation (position), mapping (map) and semantics (perceive). Using vision as the core sensing modality, all three levels of spatial understanding can be combined to offer full stack spatial Intelligence, providing richer maps, robustness to change and greater adaptability to challenging, dynamic environments.
Who we are:
SLAMcore is a London-based, globally focused startup founded by visual SLAM algorithm pioneers and specialists. Having raised over $30M of VC funding from top investors around the world, we are developing breakthrough spatial intelligence solutions for next generation robots and autonomous machines by harnessing computer vision, sensor fusion and machine learning. Our aim is to greatly reduce the time and cost for companies to deploy advanced robotic solutions whilst delivering performance they could never achieve on their own. Our customers include some of the biggest tech companies on the planet building solutions from vacuum cleaning to warehouse and logistics.
Our vision for this role:
We are looking for an exceptional individual to join our team as a Software Engineer in Test. SLAM is emerging from the research laboratory into real products, but we are only at the beginning of a journey. This technology is evolving into a general Spatial AI capability for intelligent devices, to help them understand and interact with their surroundings. SLAMcore intends to be at the centre of this exciting movement, but to do this well it is essential that our solutions have been extensively tested in the real world, on real hardware. A robot that gets easily lost or a drone that crashes 1 in 100 flights are just toys. We strive to deliver consistent, reliable performance that our customers can truly rely on.
You will be working with our team of world experts in SLAM, computer vision and software engineering to ensure our SLAM solutions meet the highest standard in terms of quality, robustness and reliability. We are looking for a software engineer with a broad technical stack and a DevOps mindset. No prior experience in robotics/computer vision and AR/VR is required, but you will need to be flexible and comfortable working with code, as well as investigating and resolving issues in the code you may not be familiar with. This position will expose you to a vast amount of high performance software and sophisticated algorithms in the world of Spatial AI, which brings a broad range of exciting and challenging tasks to work on
If you would like to better understand what mindset we expect from a Software Developer in Test please check out this article, though please keep in mind we are not affiliated with TestProject, nor are we authors of the article.
How you will help:
- Develop internal tools and software
- Work closely with other developers and stakeholders on every step of building, testing and releasing our software products
- Design testing strategies
- Automate testing, verification and quality assurance, as well as develop necessary infrastructure and frameworks
- Identify, reproduce and where possible, resolve bugs; and where not, ensure they are escalated appropriately
- Produce technical reports and documentation on the performance of our system
The capabilities we are looking for:
- Knowledge of best testing and software engineering practises
- Experience with Linux
- Experience with CI, git, CMake
- Experience in C++
- Experience in Python programming or other scripting language
- Able to work independently and with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication skills
Bonus points if you have:
- Hands-on robotics or machine vision experience
- Experience with embedded software development
Benefits and perks:
- 25 days holiday per year (plus 8 UK public holidays or local equivalent)
- Meaningful equity in a fast growing business
- Remote first company with flexible working hours*
- £1000 annual allowance towards professional and personal development
- Monthly team social events as well as a fully stocked drinks fridge at our HQ in Borough
- £20 allowance per fortnight on your company card for extra lunches/snacks/coffee/socialising
- Your choice of a PC or MacBook for completion of your day to day tasks (technical hires will need hardware that will run Linux)
- £500 to spend on your work from home setup (we’ll cover your peripherals such as screen, keyboard/mouse etc)
- Paid sick leave for physical and mental health
- Unlimited private coaching sessions with More Happi to help in your professional or personal life
- Maternal and parental leave policies
- Salary exchange programme to contribute to your pension plan with added tax benefits
Learn more about our culture, mission and values at careers.slamcore.com.
If you are interested in this role, please click apply now!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the grounds of gender, sexual orientation, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, gender reassignment, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, disability or age.
* Please note that SLAMcore is operating under a hybrid workplace policy which is predominantly 'remote-first' whilst the Covid-19 pandemic continues. Fully remote candidates will be considered. #LI-DNI