Machines with spatial intelligence are becoming more commonplace. High performance robotic solutions are no longer limited to factories and warehouses, but are becoming more and more common in environments such as hospitals, hotels and homes. Autonomous cars are starting to emerge out of the lab and AR/VR headsets are allowing us to overlay the digital world on the real world. As these machines operate in less constrained, more dynamic environments, spatial understanding is essential for reliable operation and intelligent behaviour. There are three levels of spatial understanding required: localisation (position), mapping (map) and semantics (perceive). Using vision as the core sensing modality, all three levels of spatial understanding can be combined to offer full stack spatial Intelligence, providing richer maps, robustness to change and greater adaptability to challenging, dynamic environments.
Who we are:
SLAMcore is a London-based, globally focused startup founded by visual SLAM algorithm pioneers and specialists. Having raised over $30M of VC funding from top investors around the world, we are developing breakthrough spatial intelligence solutions for next generation robots and autonomous machines by harnessing computer vision, sensor fusion and machine learning. Our aim is to greatly reduce the time and cost for companies to deploy advanced robotic solutions whilst delivering performance they could never achieve on their own. Our customers include some of the biggest tech companies on the planet building solutions from vacuum cleaning to warehouse and logistics.
Our vision for this role:
We are looking for an experienced C++ Software Engineer to shape our software stack and drive our technology forward. Our solutions must process significant image data along with additional sensor information, on modern embedded and mobile processors; real-time performance is critical, so you will be skilled in designing and writing efficient software. You will work at the intersection of algorithms and software engineering to push forward the fundamental structure, design and performance of SLAMcore's technology, delivering state-of-the-art solutions for a wide variety of real-world applications. This is a phenomenal opportunity to work on challenging algorithmic and software projects and be exposed to the novel technology and trends in the area of computer vision and robot perception.
How you will help:
Design and develop high-performance software in the areas of computer vision and spatial AI
Implement new, sophisticated algorithms on computationally limited platforms
Maintain and optimise the performance of the existing codebase
Acting as an interface, you will work closely with and support our algorithms and development teams
Be willing to coach and mentor less experienced members of the team
Take technical lead of selected software projects
The capabilities we are looking for:
Very strong understanding of different aspects of software engineering
You are passionate about exceptional C++ programming and have demonstrable experience in software design, development and optimisation
You believe that high code quality, performance, simplicity and maintainability is essential
You have experience writing production-level code
You are comfortable working with Linux
You are excited by, and have some experience in at least one of the following: embedded real-time image processing, computer vision, machine learning, computer graphics or robotics applications
You are technically hard-working and a highly efficient problem solver
Comfortable and passionate about working in a dynamic, agile, startup environment
Bonus points if you have:
Experience in technical team management or software project management
Previous experience with open-source libraries e.g, Eigen, Ceres
Benefits and perks:
- 25 days holiday per year (plus 8 UK public holidays or local equivalent)
- Meaningful equity in a fast growing business
- Remote first company with flexible working hours*
- £1000 annual allowance towards professional and personal development
- Monthly team social events as well as a fully stocked drinks fridge at our HQ in Borough
- £20 allowance per fortnight on your company card for extra lunches/snacks/coffee/socialising
- Your choice of a PC or MacBook for completion of your day to day tasks (technical hires will need hardware that will run Linux)
- £500 to spend on your work from home setup (we’ll cover your peripherals such as screen, keyboard/mouse etc)
- Paid sick leave for physical and mental health
- Unlimited private coaching sessions with More Happi to help in your professional or personal life
- Maternal and parental leave policies
- Salary exchange programme to contribute to your pension plan with added tax benefits
Learn more about our culture, mission and values at careers.slamcore.com.
If you are interested in this role, please click apply now!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the grounds of gender, sexual orientation, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, gender reassignment, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, disability or age.
* Please note that SLAMcore is operating under a hybrid workplace policy which is predominantly 'remote-first' whilst the Covid-19 pandemic continues. Fully remote candidates will be considered. #LI-DNI